Yacht Care & Maintenance
What is just as important as yacht insurance to protect your marine investment? Consistent boat or yacht care and a regular maintenance schedule.
Summer is in full swing. The best way to get the most out of the boating season is to ensure that your yacht or boat is well maintained.
Some of our clients argue that they take better care of their boats and yachts than car owners of their vehicles. Do you?
Just as adequate yacht insurance will guard against accidents or disasters, adhering to a regular schedule for maintenance and repairs will keep you out on the water in style for much longer.
Some routine tasks to remember:
- Use a mild detergent on the deck and topside of the hull.
- Apply a coat of wax to protect the finish from degradation or staining (regular waxing makes boat cleaning less arduous).
- Polish the metals to a shine.
- Keep the windows and hatches clean.
- Replace wiper blades if necessary (it doesn’t hurt to keep a replacement set on board).
- Clean upholstery as required before stains are set.
- Complete preventative engine maintenance so you aren’t surprised by a cracked fuel line or leaky fittings while out on the water.
- Ensure your first aid kit, emergency supplies (don’t forget to check the expiration date on flares!), and spare parts are all well stocked.
- Make sure your boater’s registration is current and on board.
- Check that your watercraft insurance is up to date and fits your boating needs.
- Test all your electronic equipment to ensure it’s working properly.
If you work these tasks into a regular maintenance schedule, it helps keep everything ship-shape; and you’re more apt to notice small issues before they become big problems.
At Global Marine Insurance, we are boat enthusiasts as well as yacht insurance specialists, and we want you to have the most memorable summer yet on the water.
To review your yacht insurance or boat coverage, contact the marine insurance professionals at Global Marine Insurance today. Our boat insurance specialists can help with all your recreational and commercial marine insurance needs.